If you’ve ever had ink overflow while refilling it in your pen, you know it can be a disaster. Pen ink never seems to come out of clothes or carpets. When you accidentally put a pen together with your clothes in the dryer, you’ll need to act quickly to get ink pen out of a dryer. Can a pen ruin a dryer? Yes, and that is why you should clean up the ink as soon as possible. Removing ink from the dryer is something that most people think can only be done with harsh chemicals, but it might be easier than you think. Here are a dozen ways to clean pen ink out of a dryer.
Table of Contents
1. Warm or Heat Your Dryer’s Drum
If you start to heat your dryer, the ink will be melted and more likely to come out of the dryer. Turn the heat up and let the dryer get warm. After running the dryer on high-temperature settings for around 20 minutes, you can wipe off the inside with a wet rag. You can also use a soapy cloth to wipe off the ink, and then wash the cloth in warm water.
- 10x GRIP-ROOT WEAVE - TRAP MORE, WORK LESS: Ultra-absorbent microfiber towels Grip Root weave works like PLANT ROOT FOLLICLES, sucking up & LOCKING AWAY 8x to 10x its weight in liquid, particulates, moisture, grime and dirt in far LESS TIME than traditional ‘Heavy Duty’ Cleaning Rags.
- PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZED - WON’T LINT, SCRATCH, PILL, SWIRL, SHED or BLEED like a thin, cheaply made microfiber towels for cars. RAPID DRY release layers make these the ideal microfiber towels for cars, creating that spectacular, SWIRL FREE MIRROR SHINE with our cleaning rags.
- LASTS 1200+ WASHES - That’s 3.27 YEARS worth of use in this 12 pack of COMMERCIAL GRADE 300 GSM microfiber towels. OVERLOCK BRAIDED STITCHING make the ideal ECO FRIENDLY, SUSTAINABLE SOLUTION for cleaning every SURFACE, CRACK & CREVICE in your home, garage or office. MACHINE WASHABLE, Tumble Dry.
- SOAK IT UP FASTER - 4X’s MORE ABSORBENT than COTTON cloths, these are the microfiber cleaning cloth for cars to get if you want an ALL PURPOSE cleaning towels that scoops up your messes, oils and liquids FASTER than a SPONGE, more SANITARILY than your mop and with ZERO DANGEROUS WET SPOTS like your WET VAC.
- UNRIVALED POWER, SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - TEST THIS GRIP-ROOT technology risk free for 30 full days. Love how it LOCKS AWAY dirt, dust, grime, spills and messes better than any other high performance cleaning rags you’ve tried, for a mirror shine, or your money back. No hassle, gimmicks or questions asked.
2. Use Soap and Water
If you don’t have the time to warm up your dryer, you can use a damp cloth or sponge to get rid of the ink. Use household soap, and scrub the ink that is inside your dryer. You can also try using laundry detergent or liquid dish soap to clean ink from your dryer. Always unplug the appliance before starting to clean it to avoid electric shocks when using soap and water.
- 50 percent Less Scrubbing
- Contains 3x Grease Cleaning Power (cleaning ingredients per drop vs. Dawn Non-Concentrated)
- Our NEW More Powerful Formula helps you get through more dishes with less dishwashing liquid.Phosphate-Free
- Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap, Original Scent
- Packaging & sponge shape will vary
3. Use Rubbing Alcohol
One of the easiest ways to get rid of that pesky pen ink is rubbing alcohol. Spray the inside of your dryer with alcohol, and let it sit for about 15 minutes to loosen up the ink. Then, wipe it off. Be careful to use rubbing alcohol only long enough to do the job as it may also remove some of your dryer’s paint.
- One 16-fluid ounce bottle of Solimo 70% Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol First Aid Antiseptic
- Contains 70% ethyl alcohol
- For treatment of minor cuts, scrapes and burns
- For external use only
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We’re proud of our products. If you aren’t satisfied, we’ll refund you for any reason within a year of purchase. 1-877-485-0385
4. Use Vinegar
You can use a cheap household cleaning solution if you don’t have any actual cleaning fluids at home. Just tilt your dryer upside down and pour white vinegar into the stained area. The vinegar will eat away the ink and make it easier to remove. After it dries up, take a spatula or spoon, and scrape away the ink inside the dryer.
5. Use Bleach
Although bleach is usually used to clean your clothes, you can also use it to clean pen ink from your dryer. The bleach will be able to break down the reactive chemicals in ink and, thus, get rid of the ink in your dryer. Pour about two teaspoons of bleach into your dryer, and let it sit for about 10 minutes or until the bleach is dissolved. After that, wipe off the dryer with a clean cloth.
6. Use an Adhesive Remover Spray
One of the most popular ways to clean pen ink is to use adhesive remover spray. You can find an adhesive remover in a home improvement store, or you can buy an adhesive remover that is specially formulated for cleaning pen ink. Apply the adhesive remover spray on a cloth or sponge and wipe off the pen ink inside your dryer. Repeat the procedure, and complete it by cleaning the dryer with soapy water.
- Textured pads easily and effectively remove barrier films and residue left behind by adhesive tape
- Pads help reduce patient discomfort while contents help soften the skin
- Individually wrapped for convenience
- Disposable and single-use pads
- Latex-free, it is safe to use if your skin is sensitive or allergic to natural rubber latex
7. Use Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is another chemical that can safely remove pen ink from your dryer. Use a sponge or cloth, pour the peroxide on it, and then wipe to get rid of the pen ink. Scrub lightly for about 30 minutes if the dryer has dried ink.
- One 32-fluid ounce bottle of first aid antiseptic
- First aid to help prevent risk of infection from minor cuts, scrapes and burns
- Active ingredient: 3% hydrogen peroxide (stabilized)
- Not made with natural rubber latex
- Paraben and Phthalate Free
8. Use an Industrial Absorbent
Another way to clean pen ink out of the dryer is to use an industrial absorbent formulated to remove ink from clothing. Before buying the industrial absorbent, you should know what ink was used on your pen. You have to know whether it’s India ink or ballpoint pen ink; otherwise, the industrial absorbent will not be able to get rid of the pen stains.
- DON'T JUST CLEAN. ATTACK: Crocodile Cloth Multi-Purpose Wipes stay moist longer and are uniquely designed to trap liquid and clean multiple surfaces, attacking messy spills, splatters, greasy, and sticky residues in one swipe.
- VERSATILE, MULTI-SURFACE WIPE: Tackle any mess, any size, on any surface! These heavy-duty disposable cloth hand wipes feature unrivaled tensile strength and super-absorbency that make them ultra-tough on messes. Use to clean nearly any surface including carpets, floors, cabinets, upholstery, and more.
- GENTLE AND GREEN: Formulated to attack messes, not your hands or the environment! Made without harsh chemicals or solvents and infused with nourishing aloe and vitamin E, our wipes allow you to swipe away grime and residue without harming your hands. Plus, Crocodile Cloth Multi-Purpose wipes are fully biodegradable for greener cleaning.
- TOUGH, WET, AND MEAN: Crocodile Cloth Multi-Purpose Wipes destroy the competition in clean up. 4x more effective than standard wipes and formulated for fast, scrub-free cleaning and ultra absorbency, our alcohol-free, wipes are ideal for the home, garage, office, and on-the-go.
- NO MORE WIMPY WIPES: These oversized 15” x 10” paint wipes can do it all in one swipe! Giving you the most bang for your buck. Each single pack includes 80 giant cloth hand wipes for your toughest messes. If you need more than one wipe for a mess, you need to move on to Crocodile Cloth.
9. Use Acetone
Many professionals use acetone to remove ink from clothing. In most cases, acetone can remove ink from the dryer. It will be able to dissolve the ink as it evaporates, which makes it easier to clean out. However, check with your dryer’s manufacturer, as some dryers are incompatible with acetone.
- 🌟 PROFESSIONAL NAIL POLISH REMOVER: Formulated to gently remove nail polish, glitter or nail glue from your nails. Our formula acts quickly and effectively, removing even the toughest polish. Get your favorite 8 Fl Oz bottle and leave your hands ready for the next manicure!
- 🌟THE ONLY ONE YOU NEED: Pronto Pure Acetone easily removes nail polish, gel or shellac polish, sculptured nail forms and nail art, artificial nails, glitter polish or nail glue. You can use our professional nail polish remover straight from our bottle or from an acetone dispenser.
- 🌟 QUICK EFFECT AND EASY TO USE: Moisten a little cotton ball, then, massage nail bed pressing firmly from cuticle to nail tip and wipe clean. Use cotton swabs to remove polish from difficult areas. Have clean nails in no time without needing to visit the salon!
- 🌟 PREMIUM QUALITY PRODUCT: Our Pronto fingernail polish remover is proudly made in USA, using 100% pure acetone to effectively and efficiently remove all types of manicure and pedicure. Products are sealed, and are available in 1 Unit of 4, 8 or 16 Fluid Ounces, and in Pack of 2 of 8 Fluid Ounces for your convenience.
- 🌟 OUR PLEDGE TO YOU: We take our promise to care for and protect your nails seriously, while keeping you up to date with the latest trends for a professional long-lasting look.
10. Buy a Dryer Cleaner
If you can’t clean pen ink by yourself, you should go to your local store and buy a dryer cleaner or cleaner formulated for cleaning pen ink. This will be the most expensive way to remove the ink, but it will guarantee that all traces of the pen ink can be removed from your dryer.
- Need a gentle porcelain tile cleaner that's equally effective as a rust cleaner for stainless steel? Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser is your solution. ?? Our thick pre-mixed formula clings to surfaces to remove stains, grime, and stains. Use it to clean showers, tubs, bathroom sinks, and more. Clean stainless steel tools and most fixtures without damaging the finish. Use as an enamel or porcelain-coated cast iron sink cleaner, copper cleaner, and brass cleaner.
- BKF Soft Cleanser is safe to use as a Corian countertop cleaner and polish and on other non-stone countertops. This rust cleaner and stain remover makes dirty bathroom fixtures look like-new again. Use it on tile, the sink, shower doors, and more. Use this cleaner to remove silverware marks from plates and dishes. ??️ Safe for use on most cooktop surfaces and exteriors, including oven doors. Our cleanser contains no harsh corrosives and is safe for septic systems.
- You don't need multiple cleaners for your bathroom and kitchen. Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser is a multipurpose stainless steel rust cleaner, porcelain tub cleaner, a stain remover, and more. Use it to remove from vinyl siding, to remove rust stains from outdoor furniture and equipment, to remove limescale from faucets, and to restore shine to steel, bronze, copper alloys, aluminum, and ceramic surfaces. This cleaner wipes away cleanly without leaving behind film or residue.
- Clean bathtub surrounds, shower fixtures, use as a soap scum remover on shower doors, remove stubborn rust stains, hard water stains, and stains from porcelain tile, stainless steel, your non-stone countertop, and other surfaces. This thick liquid cleaner clings to vertical surfaces to penetrate grime, which means less scrubbing for you. Just spread the cleaner across the surface with a damp sponge, and rinse within one minute of application. Repeat if necessary to remove deep stains.
- Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser has multiple uses throughout the home. Use it outside on brass and steel fixtures, aluminum patio furniture, on golf clubs, and more. We always recommend testing this cleaner (and any cleaner) on a small inconspicuous area first. Do not use on gold or silver, polished natural stone, colored grout, or on lacquered, painted, or mirrored surfaces. Shake well before use and close the cap securely after each use.
11. Clean the Paddles
Just like the clothes inside your dryer, the paddles are also hard to clean. You can use a cleaning spray to remove ink from the paddles. This is an easier way to clean pen ink off of hard surfaces than trying to scrub it with soap and water or a solvent.
12. Remove Ink With a Magic Eraser
If you have tried everything you can think of and nothing worked, you can try using a Magic Eraser. The only thing you’re going to have to do is wet the magic eraser and then rub it on the surface of your dryer until all of the ink has been removed. If you don’t have a Magic Eraser, you can also use quicklime or lime powder for this step. Lime powder can dissolve the ink without damaging your dryer’s paint job.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Extra Durable scrubber is 4X Stronger* with DURAFOAM. *Cleaning performance vs. the leading all-purpose bleach spray
- This cleaning scrubber is tough on dirt, all around the house! Surface cleaner, wall cleaner, bathtub cleaner, oven door cleaner, erases marks on light switches, doors & much more!
- The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser provides a powerful clean with water alone
- No Harsh chemicals added
- Magic Erasers are also available in Bath, Kitchen, and Original form
As you can see, there are many different methods that you can use to clean pen ink out of your dryer. Before using industrial absorbents, it’s wise to try household materials such as bleach, vinegar, soap, and water. If all else fails, you should try using a dryer cleaner as this will guarantee that all ink is gone from your dryer, and your clothes will be safe inside.