If you’ve ever had ink overflow while refilling it in your pen, you know it can be a disaster. Pen ink never seems to come out of clothes or carpets. When you accidentally put a pen together with your clothes in the dryer, you’ll need to act quickly to get ink pen out of a dryer. Can a pen ruin a dryer? Yes, and that is why you should clean up the ink as soon as possible. Removing ink from the dryer is something that most people think can only be done with harsh chemicals, but it might be easier than you think. Here are a dozen ways to clean pen ink out of a dryer.
1. Warm or Heat Your Dryer’s Drum
If you start to heat your dryer, the ink will be melted and more likely to come out of the dryer. Turn the heat up and let the dryer get warm. After running the dryer on high-temperature settings for around 20 minutes, you can wipe off the inside with a wet rag. You can also use a soapy cloth to wipe off the ink, and then wash the cloth in warm water.
- EFFECTIVE CLEANING: Take these cleaning cloths in the perfect size (11.5"X 11.5") to clean your worktop, kitchen, windows, or even your car and other delicate surfaces. With just water or cleaner, you can achieve streak-free and neat results.
- LINT-FREE & SCRATCH-FREE: Made of 87% Polyester and 13% Polyamide, these cleaning rags are soft to the touch and lint-free. They will not scratch or damage any finishes. Clean with confidence.
- REUSABLE & DURABLE: These cleaning towels can be used repeatedly hundreds of times. With reinforced edges, they are designed to be long-lasting and won't easily break. Make a positive impact on the environment by reducing the use of paper towels.
- VERSATILE & EASY TO WASH: Not only suitable for general cleaning tasks, but also great for cleaning car exteriors or interiors, electronics, eyeglasses, screens, and more. After use, simply rinse them or throw them into your washing machine, as they are completely safe.
- GIFT OPTION& WORRY-FREE SERVICE: Add our soft and ultra-absorbent microfiber towels to your household cleaning supply arsenal. Step into a world of clean comfort with Homexcel microfiber cleaning cloths.
2. Use Soap and Water
If you don’t have the time to warm up your dryer, you can use a damp cloth or sponge to get rid of the ink. Use household soap, and scrub the ink that is inside your dryer. You can also try using laundry detergent or liquid dish soap to clean ink from your dryer. Always unplug the appliance before starting to clean it to avoid electric shocks when using soap and water.
- 50% Less Scrubbing (vs. Dawn Non-Concentrated)
- Dawn dishwashing liquid can even be used to clean items beyond the kitchen sink. Use Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove grease and grime from external car surfaces and the outer shroud of a gas grill.
- Our Powerful Formula helps you get through more dishes with less dishwashing liquid (vs. Dawn Non-Concentrated)
- America's #1 Dish Liquid (Based on Sales)
- Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap, Original Scent
3. Use Rubbing Alcohol
One of the easiest ways to get rid of that pesky pen ink is rubbing alcohol. Spray the inside of your dryer with alcohol, and let it sit for about 15 minutes to loosen up the ink. Then, wipe it off. Be careful to use rubbing alcohol only long enough to do the job as it may also remove some of your dryer’s paint.
- One 16 fluid ounce bottle of 70% ethyl rubbing alcohol first aid antiseptic
- Packaging is transitioning and may vary from picture
- Contains 70% ethyl alcohol for treatment of minor cuts, scrapes and burns
- For external use only
4. Use Vinegar
You can use a cheap household cleaning solution if you don’t have any actual cleaning fluids at home. Just tilt your dryer upside down and pour white vinegar into the stained area. The vinegar will eat away the ink and make it easier to remove. After it dries up, take a spatula or spoon, and scrape away the ink inside the dryer.
- One 32 fl oz bottle of Heinz All Natural Distilled White Vinegar 5% Acidity
- Made through boiling and condensation from a fermented mixture of American-grown corn and water
- 5% acidity is ideal for canning and pickling
- Add white vinegar to marinades and sauces for an extra zingy flavor
- Bottle is easy to handle to control how much distilled vinegar you use
5. Use Bleach
Although bleach is usually used to clean your clothes, you can also use it to clean pen ink from your dryer. The bleach will be able to break down the reactive chemicals in ink and, thus, get rid of the ink in your dryer. Pour about two teaspoons of bleach into your dryer, and let it sit for about 10 minutes or until the bleach is dissolved. After that, wipe off the dryer with a clean cloth.
6. Use an Adhesive Remover Spray
One of the most popular ways to clean pen ink is to use adhesive remover spray. You can find an adhesive remover in a home improvement store, or you can buy an adhesive remover that is specially formulated for cleaning pen ink. Apply the adhesive remover spray on a cloth or sponge and wipe off the pen ink inside your dryer. Repeat the procedure, and complete it by cleaning the dryer with soapy water.
- Textured pads easily and effectively remove barrier films and residue left behind by adhesive tape
- Pads help reduce patient discomfort while contents help soften the skin
- Individually wrapped for convenience
- Disposable and single-use pads
- Latex-free, it is safe to use if your skin is sensitive or allergic to natural rubber latex
7. Use Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is another chemical that can safely remove pen ink from your dryer. Use a sponge or cloth, pour the peroxide on it, and then wipe to get rid of the pen ink. Scrub lightly for about 30 minutes if the dryer has dried ink.
- First aid antiseptic (32 fluid ounces); helps prevent the risk of infection from minor cuts, scrapes, and burns
- 3% hydrogen peroxide formula
- Paraben and phthalate free
- No rubber latex
- If you like Swan Hydrogen Peroxide, we invite you to try Amazon Basics 3% Hydrogen Peroxide First Aid Antiseptic
8. Use an Industrial Absorbent
Another way to clean pen ink out of the dryer is to use an industrial absorbent formulated to remove ink from clothing. Before buying the industrial absorbent, you should know what ink was used on your pen. You have to know whether it’s India ink or ballpoint pen ink; otherwise, the industrial absorbent will not be able to get rid of the pen stains.
- MORE EFFECTIVE, MORE VALUE: These giant 15" x 10" cloths are designed to scrub and absorb, meaning you need less wipes to clean the same mess. If you need more than one wipe for a mess you need to move on to Crocodile Cloth
- DON'T JUST CLEAN. ATTACK: Designed to dissolve and absorb grease, oil, paint, ink, caulk, glue, and automotive messes in real work environments. Our wipes stay moist longer and feature a super tough heavy-duty build
- HAND SAFE: Our wipes are dermatologically tested and infused with aloe and vitamin E to be safe for hands while eating through grease and oil. Every disposable cloth will stay wet outside the package for over an hour.
- MULTIPURPOSE QUICK ACTION: We use a unique low-foaming degreaser formula that's safe for nearly any surface. Great for plastic, vinyl, metal, wood, leather, gym equipment, carpets, bamboo, fabrics, and more.
- NO MORE WIMPY WIPES: These oversized cloth wipes aren't just tough on messes, they're incredibly strong. Crocodile Cloth is designed to be over 4x more effective than the standard wipe. Each package includes 100 alcohol free wipes.
9. Use Acetone
Many professionals use acetone to remove ink from clothing. In most cases, acetone can remove ink from the dryer. It will be able to dissolve the ink as it evaporates, which makes it easier to clean out. However, check with your dryer’s manufacturer, as some dryers are incompatible with acetone.
- Eliminates fill and repair lines
- Blends tips on natural nails
- Professional grade
- Great value
10. Buy a Dryer Cleaner
If you can’t clean pen ink by yourself, you should go to your local store and buy a dryer cleaner or cleaner formulated for cleaning pen ink. This will be the most expensive way to remove the ink, but it will guarantee that all traces of the pen ink can be removed from your dryer.
- All Purpose Cleaner: Bar Keepers Friend Powder Cleanser is a grease and rust stain remover that powers through bathroom and sink stains, hard water stains, tarnish & grime. Perfect for use on cookware, kitchen surfaces and as a tile cleaner
- Heavy Duty Degreaser: The powerful degreaser agents in this multipurpose cleaner remove grease from oven doors, stove tops and oven racks. Use as a stainless steel cleaner, corian countertop cleaner, bathroom cleaner, grill degreaser or drip pan cleaner
- Safe On Surfaces: This multi purpose cleaner is a gentle and effective rust buster, soap scum and tarnish remover that deep cleans without damage to surfaces. Safe for stainless steel sinks and cookware, on porcelain tile and more
- Once Tried, Always Used: Bar Keepers Friend deep cleaning powder is effective as a kitchen cleaner and a bathroom cleaner. Try it on cookware, shower glass, doors, grills and porcelain - you'll never look back
- America's Trusted Cleaning Products Since 1882: Trusted by homeowners and professionals for over 100 years, we are proud to offer a wide range of home cleaning supplies that are tough on stains and gentle on surfaces to help keep your home looking pristine
11. Clean the Paddles
Just like the clothes inside your dryer, the paddles are also hard to clean. You can use a cleaning spray to remove ink from the paddles. This is an easier way to clean pen ink off of hard surfaces than trying to scrub it with soap and water or a solvent.
12. Remove Ink With a Magic Eraser
If you have tried everything you can think of and nothing worked, you can try using a Magic Eraser. The only thing you’re going to have to do is wet the magic eraser and then rub it on the surface of your dryer until all of the ink has been removed. If you don’t have a Magic Eraser, you can also use quicklime or lime powder for this step. Lime powder can dissolve the ink without damaging your dryer’s paint job.
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original scrubber is 2X Stronger with DURAFOAM Cleaning performance vs. the leading all-purpose bleach spray
- This cleaning scrubber is tough on dirt, all around the house! Surface cleaner, wall cleaner, bathtub cleaner, oven door cleaner, erases marks on light switches, doors & much more!
- The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser provides a powerful clean with water alone.
- No Harsh chemicals added.
- Magic Erasers are also available in Extra Durable, Kitchen, and Original forms
As you can see, there are many different methods that you can use to clean pen ink out of your dryer. Before using industrial absorbents, it’s wise to try household materials such as bleach, vinegar, soap, and water. If all else fails, you should try using a dryer cleaner as this will guarantee that all ink is gone from your dryer, and your clothes will be safe inside.