There’s no such thing as a simple shopping experience when you’re on the hunt for a new washing machine. Today’s wealth of options forces you to examine every pro and con. Otherwise, you risk wasting your money on a washer that’s ill-suited to your unique needs.
Many shoppers simplify the process by narrowing down their selection to a single trustworthy brand. Even this can be tricky, however, as three of the most well-known washing machine brands hold a variety of key similarities.
LG, Samsung, and Whirlpool are all highly reputable, and for good reason — they offer access to the most cutting-edge features, along with impressive cleaning performance, reasonable warranty coverage, and often, exceptional efficiency.
These washers are available in many forms, including both top-load and front-load. Further categories include impellers and agitators. With all three brands, a wide array of sizes are available, including several models with capacities of over 5 cu. ft.
Unfortunately, these advantages come at a price. Cost-conscious consumers sometimes conclude that LG, Samsung, and Whirlpool washing machines are financially out of reach.
If you’re willing to make more of an upfront investment for the sake of long-term cleaning power, you will want to carefully vet your options. It would be a shame to spend over $1,000 on a premium washer only to find out that it’s a poor choice for your household.
How Do LG, Samsung, and Whirlpool Compare To Each Other?
Because LG, Samsung, and Whirlpool hold so much in common, their distinctions may seem incredibly subtle. These differences, although small, are worth noting, as they can either elevate or detract from your laundry experience.
First, it’s important to understand the general perception of each brand. While opinions will vary between customers and may not be applicable to all models from a given company, a few general assumptions apply.
For example: customers largely agree that Samsung, while boasting the most impressive technological features, tends to produce the most shoddy washing machines — forcing customers to seek repairs far sooner than would be necessary for comparable LG or Whirlpool appliances.
Meanwhile, Whirlpool washers are largely regarded as reliable, but simple. This isn’t necessarily true, however, as several newer Whirlpool models come equipped with tech-oriented features that rival comparable bells and whistles from Samsung and LG.
Finally, LG offers the best of both worlds: durability and cutting-edge performance — but often at considerable cost, as these tend to be the most expensive washers. Still, they can regularly be found on sale, giving you the opportunity to score a premium washer at a reasonable price.
Beyond these main distinctions, there are several minor differences that set these big names apart. To help you understand these qualities, we’ve provided a detailed guide to the advantages and concerns associated with each brand:
Boasting a vast array of products designed to help consumers “live better,” LG has a strong presence in the large appliance niche. While its washer lineup isn’t quite as vast as that of Samsung, its offerings include some of the most innovative, high-performing washers currently available.
- Smartphone connectivity makes it possible to run many washing machines from afar.
- Pairing solutions make both washing and drying more convenient.
- Many models are known for their almost silent operation.
- Energy Star-certified models are common, even among top-load washers.
- While prices can be high, sales are often available.
- Several high-capacity models boast up to 5.5 cu. ft.
- Prices tend to be higher than comparable washers from other brands.
- Some users complain that LG washers are not particularly intuitive and can be frustrating to operate early on.
- With some washers, customers have found that water levels are unacceptably low without the addition of Water Plus.
From its base models up to its highest-level appliances, LG promises a premium washing experience for each and every consumer. A variety of extra features deliver a better wash in less time — and with far less hassle. Favorites include:
- TurboWash3D: This powerful system promises everything you could want in a modern washer: a gentle, yet deep clean in record time. Depending on the model, this setting could make it possible to complete loads in a mere half hour or slightly longer.
- ColdWash: While washing on cold is often necessary for delicate items, it doesn’t mean that you need to sacrifice cleaning quality. With ColdWash technology, enhanced motions provide better fabric penetration, thereby ensuring that overall performance matches that of a typical warm water wash.
- Water Plus: When dealing with large items or major stains, it helps to add extra water. Known as Water Plus, LG’s deep fill solution delivers extra water with the simple press of a button.
- ezDispense: This auto dispenser solution can take care of both detergent and fabric softener for eighteen cycles before it requires a refill. Keep in mind, however, that similar auto dispense options from competing brands allow you to refill the detergent less often.
LG is known for its ThinQ technology system, which makes it possible to start and stop cycles from a distance. ThinQ also provides helpful cycle notifications and maintenance reminders. This versatile system is compatible with Google Assistant and Alexa.
Tech-based convenience takes another step up when you stick with LG for both your washer and dryer. This allows you to take advantage of Smart Pairing, which makes dryer cycle selections based on the most recent wash.
LG washers are, by and large, known to deliver a deep clean. That being said, your mileage may vary depending on which type of washer you select: front-load, impeller, or agitator. Each LG design comes with its own unique set of advantages and downsides, so it’s important to do your research and determine which approach is best for your specific cleaning needs.
As is the case for most brands, LG delivers the deepest clean with its front-load models. Some top load washing machines can also remove an impressive amount of dirt and debris, although this is more likely when the washer in question is equipped with an impeller instead of an agitator. With both designs, many of the premium features highlighted above boost cleaning performance.
The number of water temperatures, spin speeds, and other settings varies from one model to the next, but it’s common for LG washers to provide several options in every category. This makes it easier to customize each wash based on clothing colors, fabric types, soil level, or load size.
Cost and Warranties
LG washers tend to be among the most expensive on the market, although a few budget-oriented models are available. Depending on where you buy your LG washer, you may be able to score a significant discount that brings it more in line with budget options from competing brands. During major sales, it’s not unheard of for LG washers to drop several hundred dollars, bringing high-quality models to under $800.
At the upper end of the price spectrum, it’s possible to pay over $1,500 for an LG washer. Typically, the most expensive models are smart washers, which may include intelligence features and advanced cleaning solutions. Again, the prices on these high-end washers have been known to drop considerably during sales, with customers sometimes paying just $1,200 for elite washers.
Thankfully, paying a little extra on an upfront basis helps you access a decent warranty that includes one year of limited coverage for parts and labor. What’s more, LG covers the stainless steel drum for three years from the original date of purchase. Likewise, the Direct Drive motor receives extended coverage: ten years following the initial retail purchase.
As the flagship brand of the Whirlpool Corporation, Whirlpool holds a clear advantage in terms of name recognition. That being said, the Whirlpool Corporation also presides over several other familiar appliance brands, such as Maytag and Hotpoint.
- Many entry-level models are available at a reasonable cost.
- ADA washers accommodate all types of users.
- Intuitive controls remove the guesswork so you can expect an accurate clean with every cycle.
- Many washers are Energy Star-certified and can provide a great clean while keeping energy usage to a minimum.
- Space-saving laundry centers boost convenience while providing elite washing and drying performance.
- It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish Whirlpool, Maytag, and other brands owned by the Whirlpool Corporation.
- In most cases, Whirlpool washers are less technologically advanced than LG and Samsung washers are.
- Many customers complain that Whirlpool washers are too loud.
Whirlpool may not be primarily known for producing cutting-edge washers, but that doesn’t mean that it lacks high-tech features. In fact, Whirlpool smart washers are highly underrated as compared to counterparts from LG and Samsung. Top smart features to keep in mind include:
- Adaptive Wash technology: Capable of discerning the size of each load, this feature determines the necessary water levels and type of wash action.
- Wash scheduling: Control cycles from the Whirlpool app, where you can schedule loads based on your availability. You can even let the app know when you’ll return home, so cycles can start and end according to your schedule.
- Favorite cycles: Another impressive feature from the Whirlpool app? Favorite cycles, which recall your preferred settings so you can streamline the laundry process. Combine with remote start to add extra convenience to everyday washing.
- Voice control: Combatting Whirlpool’s perception as a technological laggard, voice control opportunities are useful when your hands are occupied. With this solution, you can streamline the laundry process by making simple voice commands with compatible devices.
Whirlpool offers a variety of unique options that enhance convenience and cleaning performance. Examples include:
- Tumble Fresh: This optional setting provides periodic tumbling, making it a great choice when you’re unable to immediately move your clothes from the washer to the dryer.
- Precision Dispense: User error is often to blame for damaged clothing. This dispensing option limits such problems by releasing detergent at the right time. Select models up the ante with Load & Go dispensing. Under this approach, it’s possible to load the machine with detergent just once before letting the washer handle detergent dispensing for a full twenty loads.
Whirlpool has a strong reputation for its high-powered washers, which customers believe can be counted on to make even the dirtiest items appear pristine. This cleaning power is evident for models at every level of the washing machine spectrum. This is great news for anyone on a budget; you don’t need to invest in the fanciest Whirlpool washer to know you’ll score a solid clean.
Some Whirlpool washers go above and beyond, adding not only the premium features outlined above, but also, extra options for temperatures, speed cycles, and more. Solutions that can enhance Whirlpool’s already strong cleaning performance include:
- Pretreat Station Plus: The worst stains may require attention above and beyond what a standard cycle can provide. Whirlpool’s pretreat system removes the hassle from this extra step by allowing it to take place right above the washer’s tub. The built-in faucet and pretreat brush can be used together to get rid of pesky stains before adding items directly to the load in question.
- ColorLast: If you’re determined to keep colorful items as vibrant as possible, use the ColorLast mode. This strategically selects the temperature and time settings most conducive to a gentle wash and long-lasting color.
Cost and Warranties
Whirlpool offers laundry machines at every price point. Budget-conscious consumers will be pleased to find several models available for under $700. Given the across-the-board strong performance that this brand provides, Whirlpool should be top of mind with anyone who needs to make the most of a limited appliance budget.
At just one year, Whirlpool’s limited warranty isn’t particularly impressive. That being said, the brand provides extra peace of mind in the form of a Master Protection Agreement. Perks include preventative maintenance checks, power surge protection, and rental reimbursements if your washer needs to be fixed. Unfortunately, this agreement adds considerably to the overall cost of ownership, however — and this is especially problematic for Whirlpool customers, who often prioritize low prices.
If you have a specific vision in mind for your laundry setup, Samsung is the most likely brand to carry the exact type of appliance you desire. Samsung boasts a vast lineup of washers, including every size, color, and design imaginable. Samsung is also known for being a tech-forward brand. This perception makes sense; Samsung is beloved for its smartphones and other cutting-edge devices.
- Most models are efficient enough to produce considerable savings over time.
- These attractive washers are available in a variety of distinctive colors and finishes.
- High-quality Samsung washers are available at every price point, including several budget-friendly models.
- Samsung washers are often at the cutting-edge of cleaning technology, offering smart features and several other tech-oriented perks.
- Samsung washers are more likely to break down than durable counterparts from Whirlpool or LG.
- While the warranty coverage is decent, many owners complain that dealing with customer service is difficult.
- Washers equipped with high-level tech features are often prohibitively expensive.
If you enjoy experimenting with the most cutting-edge features, Samsung is the brand for you. While top competitors such as LG and Whirlpool provide plenty of opportunities to check out the latest washing machine technologies, Samsung delivers a clear step up — even for basic models.
Some of Samsung’s most impactful features appear simple at first glance. EZ Access, for example, helps you reach the bottom of the tub without sacrificing capacity. Meanwhile, Swirl+ patterns extract water to deliver a quick wash without causing damage such as clothing snags.
Easily the most impressive opportunity involves AI-powered Smart Dial. This system can discern your everyday washing habits and recommend favorite wash cycles based on these patterns.
As we’ve mentioned, advanced tech helps Samsung washers stand apart. Top tech features include:
- Smart Care: A favorite solution from Samsung’s smartphone app, this diagnosis system can play a valuable role in personal troubleshooting.
- OptiWash: Many Samsung washers are capable of sensing soil levels. The OptiWash system adds extra detergent or time to the cycle if these are deemed necessary for a deep clean.
- Self Clean+: Capable of eliminating 99 percent of bacteria from the washer’s drum, this system provides prompt notifications when the washer itself requires cleaning.
- VRT Plus: Designed to reduce vibrations, VRT Plus technology keeps noise to a minimum. This is an appreciated feature in apartments and small homes in which bedrooms are situated near the laundry machine.
Wash performance can be hit or miss with Samsung machines. Front-load models are by far the most likely to deliver a deep clean, although some washers that are equipped with deep tubs and impellers may come close. The Deep Fill option can further enhance cleaning power by more thoroughly immersing clothing.
Many people have seen excellent results with Samsung washers equipped with steam cleaning capabilities. These washers release steam throughout the drum to deliver a more thorough clean. This approach bypasses the hassle of pretreating clothes but produces similar results.
As with Whirlpool and LG, your ability to achieve a targeted clean will vary between models. Several washers offer a dizzying array of combinations, involving various water temperatures and soil levels. Options such as steam washing, delayed end, and pre-soak further extend the already impressive range of customization opportunities. Spin speeds are often high, with several washers achieving 1,200 RPM or greater.
Average Cost and Warranties
Samsung offers washers in every range of the price spectrum. Those outfitted with the latest pieces of technology are, as expected, pricier than their bare-bones counterparts.
Peace of mind is available via the standard Samsung washing machine warranty, which applies to most models. This limited warranty provides one year of coverage for parts and labor, as well as three years of coverage for the stainless steel tub. Most impressively, the Direct Drive motor is covered for a full ten years.
Samsung’s warranty closely resembles the previously mentioned coverage from LG, which also offers varying degrees of coverage for its standard parts, stainless steel tub, and DD motor.
Unfortunately, it’s common for Samsung users to navigate the warranty process, as these machines have a problematic reputation for being flimsy. Many dissatisfied customers report using their Samsung washers happily for a few short months before dealing with breakdowns. While the limited warranty may cover these issues, navigating the claims process can be a pain.
For some users, it may be worthwhile to invest in the Samsung Care+ plan, which can provide extra peace of mind. Extending beyond the standard warranty, this offers several additional years of protection in the event of electrical or mechanical breakdowns.
Which Brand Is the Best for Energy Efficiency?
The long-term cost of washing largely depends on the machine’s water and power consumption. This is a point of pride for Samsung, which offers several Energy Star appliances. By reducing both water and electricity usage, Samsung is able to keep the cost of operation to a minimum.
Whirlpool also appeals to eco-conscious consumers. Many Whirlpool washers come with an EcoBoost option, which reduces water temperature to decrease energy usage — but without compromising performance.
Which Brand Has the Most Affordable Prices?
While none of the brands highlighted in this guide have a reputation for providing budget washers, excellent deals are still available if you know where to look. Pricing is fairly similar between Samsung and Whirlpool, with entry-level washers typically costing between $550 and $700. Samsung offers more models in general, however, so the combination of cost and versatility may make this brand the most appealing.
Which Brand Has the Best Performance Overall?
LG boasts some of the best washers available today. While these can be expensive, they are a dream come true for busy people with minimal time for laundry. Blending the best of cleaning technology with general durability, LG products are an easy choice when you’re unwilling to compromise on quality.
Which Brand Is Best For You?
By now, it should be abundantly clear: no single washing machine model or brand is going to be ideal for every person. The very features that delight some users will cause problems for others. As such, you need to be mindful of your personal priorities as you begin the shopping process.
Within each brand, you’ll find several excellent washers that deliver the elite cleaning performance you desire.
Once you know what you like in a washing machine, you can make a targeted decision based on any limitations for budget and space. Do your research, and you’ll be rewarded with a high-performance washing machine that makes laundry feel like a treat — not a chore.